My Illness

About three years ago, I had the worst illness of my life. I was in so much pain...it happened so fast. My mom took me to see my doctor early on a Saturday morning. He kept me there for about ten days. I had surgery during that time to remove lots of bladder stones...those things really hurt! My doctor wasn't sure that I'd survive, but I had plans. My mom still needed me and I was feeling so much better after that surgery. I was doing pretty darn well after that, but I did need to start wearing a diaper. I was a little drippy, but my mom was so glad that I was alive that she didn't mind changing my diapers for me. I still loved going for rides in the car to visit my relatives and walking to get the mail. Then about a year or so later, I started to have some seizures. It took awhile, but between my mom and my doctor they determined that I had insulinoma. That sucked. Mom started to feed me small amounts of protein every three hours...every day...for more than a year. That was great because it kept my blood glucose from dropping too low. Eventually, I had to start taking prednisone to keep the seizures at bay. Oh, well...I was getting to be a very, very old man.

No comments: