My New Home

In the summer of 1999, I was living in the Stanislaus County animal shelter. I had been there for about fifteen days, a day or two longer than the rules allowed. One volunteer worker kept moving me around in order to give me just a little bit more time to find a home. One Saturday morning, she slipped me into the "visit van", the van that takes dogs to the local PetSmart stores to show them off to prospective adoptive parents. I wasn't scheduled to go because I was not very attractive at the time. I had no hair from my midsection to my tail. I don't really know why, stress probably. When the other volunteers found me in the van, they quickly "hid" me in one of the cat kennels at the store...and then she walked in...my mom. I didn't know that she was going to be my mom, as a matter of fact, I thought I was alone again when at the end of the day I was put back into the van and taken to the shelter. It was nearly closing time and someone came and looked into the cage; she walked away. When she came back a minute later and scooped me up I didn't dare hope for anything good. But a few minutes later I was being cuddled in my mom's lap and headed for my new home.

1 comment:

Marisol said...

It was a loving history from a lucky "Max" who was found for a lucky mom.
Jaerika